Copyright © lakeview creativity
Design by Dzignine

20 August, 2013

Freaking Why?

There he goes. Right on cue and like clockwork. 8.56 AM, never early and never late, Jeremy Perfect Hair Anderson always walks through the double automatic door of the building and by the time it's 8.57 AM, he's always finished greeting all the people he passes down the hallway and flashes me a smile as he walks up to the reception desk — which is where I am right now.

"Hey, Anna," Jeremy Owner of My Heart Anderson greets me."How was your weekend?"

"Hi, Jeremy," I give him my sweetest smile — I hope it's enough to mask my wildly beating drum of a heart. "It was okay. I had the day off and I got to hang out with my friends."

Okay, that was a lie. But like, I wasn't going to tell him that I only hung out with my dog because... Well, because I don't actually have friends to hang out with.

I like to think myself as a lone wolf.

Except, I'm actually not. I'm just a super awkward turtle. I'm that person who would snort loudly when they're laughing at a joke at their 10th high school reunion — and then run away to the restroom just to come back with toilet paper sticking out of their pants.

"Sounds fun," he smiles. His eyes sparkle like sugar poured into a cup of coffee. So pretty.

I give him a casual shrug (as casual as I can get) and a tight lipped smile because if I open my mouth I'm pretty sure I would tell him that I like my coffee sweet.

"Oh, okay," he suddenly said. "I like mine black, actually."

What?

"What?"

He eyes me suspiciously. "Coffee?"

Crap.

"Crap."

"You didn't mean to say that out loud, did you?" He chuckles and I can feel some heat creeping up my face. God, I must look like an idiot.

He chuckles again. "No, you don't."

"Oh my God!" I gasped and covered my mouth. Apparently, I saidthat out loud again. "What is wrong with me?"

This time he can't even stop himself from laughing. "You're so funny!"

I grumble and hide my face with one of my hands as the other one slides him a clipboard. "Just... Just sign your name there as usual."

He was still holding back his laughter when he walks away, but not before he promised to bring me a cup of hot, steaming cup of coffee, with sugar, on his way out later.

Of course that means I'm going to have to stay here longer than my shift, and I would have to put up with lousy coffee from the vending machine but pfft... Who cares? Jeremy Ruler of My Universe Anderson is buying me coffee!

--o--o--o--

"Sorry," he pushes a coffee cup on the counter towards me. "I know it's past your shift."

I shrug, trying to hide my pathetic excitement over a cup of bad coffee. "It's no problem," I tell him. I would gladly stay forever for you, Jeremy I Could Get Lost In Your Eyes Anderson.

We both take a sip from our respective cups and look at each other. He's the first one to make a face.

"Oh my God! What the hell is this?"

"Yeah," I grimaced. "I should have told you the coffee here sucks."

"It doesn't just suck. It tastes like pee," he deadpans. Then after a beat, "not that I've tasted pee before."

I sigh inwardly and take another sip just to keep my mouth from sayinganything out loud again. Jeremy Why Are You So Beautiful Anderson is spending time with me well after working hours. This must be what heaven feels like.

Actually, this must be what heaven looks like because I can totally watch his lips move all day. Every day.

"Anna?" His voice yanked me from the trance. "Anna!"

"Uh," my eyes widened because I just realized I must've looked like a crazy person, staring at his face glossy-eyed. "Yeah, sorry! What was the question?"

"I asked you if you're taking off soon. It's about to rain, so if you need it I can give you a ride somewhere?"

Jeremy the Heart Melter Anderson, ladies and gents. So very kind. But I really don't think I would be able to be in the same car bubble with him even if it's only for 5 minutes. I'd probably pounce him.

"No!" I said a little too loud and Jeremy's face falls a little bit. "I mean... No, thank you. I'm actually gonna stay here a while longer. See if I'm needed or something."

His face lights up again. "Wow," he says with some type of awe that I definitely don't deserve. "You're super dedicated. Alright then, I'll let you go back to your noble task."

I smile at him. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

Apparently, that was the wrong thing to ask because the smile that was gracing his face just disappeared. I should've known better.

"Of course," he tries to smile back. Then his lips open and close, like he's trying hard to say something else. After clearing his throat, and taking out his business card, he finally comes out with it. "Could you, uh, maybe call me —"

Oh my God! The day has finally arrived! Jeremy Your Voice Is My Drug Anderson is finally asking me out! I've only been waiting for this moment since the day he walked through those double doors 4 months ago! Hell yeah, I'm excited!

"— could you let me know if anything changes?"

"Uh..?"

Excuse me?

"She's gonna wake up soon. I just know it. But visiting hours are over and..." he trails off and looks up to the ceiling. I watch him blink his eyes.. 1, 2, 7 times and I can tell he's trying to hide the tears.

I sigh inwardly. Who am I kidding? Jeremy Sweet Sweet Jeremy Anderson isn't ever going to ask me on a date because, let's face it, the reason he keeps coming back is not standing at the reception desk. In fact, she hasn't been standing at all since she was pushed in a gurney through the corridor. The doctors did everything they could, but a person's brain could only last so long without oxygen. And... well, let's just say that car accident kept her underwater for more than a splish-splash in the pool. By the time she was saved, she was already unconscious.

Since then, her fiancé, Jeremy Why Won't You Love Me Anderson, has been coming to the hospital almost everyday just to hold her hand. On weekdays, he's restrained by his office hours. But on weekends like this, he'd stay for as long as the visiting hours lets him.

Jeremy looks at me again and apologizes for being emotional. I sigh inwardly again. How can I refuse that request when he looks like his knees are about to give out on him?

"Sure," I take his business card and offer him the best encouraging smile that I can muster. "Get some rest, Jeremy. We'll be here tomorrow. I'll call you if anything changes."

Jeremy wiped his face with both his hands and takes a deep, long breath. "Thanks, Anna," he says. Then, Jeremy Everything That's Right In This World Anderson proceeds to break my heart. "She's the love of my life."

"I know," I mumble bitterly when he turns around towards the exit. Oh, do I know.

I look at his business card and crumple it.

Then I toss it into the trashcan.

Then I feel bad and pick it up again. I smooth it right back with the heel of my right hand and for the umpteenth time today, I sigh.

Jeremy Life Ruiner Anderson.

Why can't I be the one lying in a comatose like a vegetable in that hospital bed?





(Written on my phone. Excuse the typos. Edited. Yay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment